Find Deck Staining in Bessemer, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or cold temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be carried out to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation should be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering the most protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and yard.
What are some benefits of applying stain to a deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's important to consider which option most fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for your needs.
Is the expense of professional deck staining justified by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might think by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Bessemer, AL is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Bessemer, AL on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and delivering unmatched protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under steady foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Bessemer, AL and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.