Find a Cabinet Painter in Estillfork, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter which kind of paint I use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Estillfork, AL, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painter in Estillfork, AL Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Estillfork, AL varies, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets might be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Estillfork, AL confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.