Find a Cabinet Painter in Fairfield, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter what type of paint I choose for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets or begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
How will I know I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any painter you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur after the project has started that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by checking their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the challenging prep stage a necessity prior to painting all cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my existing cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Fairfield, AL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter in Fairfield, AL
A quick way to increase the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Fairfield, AL fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Find all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Fairfield, AL easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.