Find a Cabinet Painter in Jemison, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the style of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated appearance. Common wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to begin is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any painter you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the average price for a professional cabinet painter?
There are several factors that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Jemison, AL, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Jemison, AL to Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Jemison, AL fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Jemison, AL confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.