Find a Cabinet Painter in Lowndesboro, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant look. Common wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
How will I know I've found the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I just paint over my home's cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I need to pay to paint my current cabinets?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Lowndesboro, AL, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Renew Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Lowndesboro, AL
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Lowndesboro, AL fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Lowndesboro, AL easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.