Find a Cabinet Painter in Loxley, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for home walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant appearance. Typical wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Which features do I expect in a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Do I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I need to pay to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are several things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Loxley, AL, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Loxley, AL Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Loxley, AL fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Loxley, AL easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.