Find Deck Staining in Luverne, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What preparations are advised before staining a deck?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation should be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your home and yard.
What are the benefits of staining a deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's essential to assess which option most fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands more upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the look of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Luverne, Alabama poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Luverne, Alabama on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and delivering unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Carrying out the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Luverne, Alabama and choose the right one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.