Find a Cabinet Painter in Mc Kenzie, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint do you use with cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for home walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that modern look. Typical wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you consider provides written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Is the challenging prep step a necessity before painting my cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the typical price of an experienced cabinet painter?
There are many factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Mc Kenzie, AL, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painter in Mc Kenzie, AL Who Will Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to increase the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Mc Kenzie, AL varies, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Mc Kenzie, AL easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.