Find a Cabinet Painter in Perdido, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which variety of paint do you use with cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek appearance. Typical wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Which qualities do I expect from a professional cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. The first place to start is by knowing exactly what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How can you estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Perdido, Alabama, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painter in Perdido, Alabama Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to boost the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Perdido, Alabama varies, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Perdido, Alabama confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.