Find a Cabinet Painter in Rainbow City, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Is it easy to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What is the usual cost for an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are several things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Rainbow City, AL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Rainbow City, AL Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the value of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Rainbow City, AL fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Rainbow City, AL confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.