Find a Cabinet Painter in Tallassee, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the appearance of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated look. Common wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to begin is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What is the average price of a professional cabinet painter?
There are several factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Tallassee, Alabama, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painter in Tallassee, Alabama to Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to increase the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Tallassee, Alabama fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Tallassee, Alabama confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.