Find a Cabinet Painter in Wilton, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited to the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for home walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Which features do I expect in a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project has started that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical cost of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Wilton, Alabama, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Wilton, Alabama to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Wilton, Alabama varies, but many customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Wilton, Alabama easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.