Find a Cabinet Painter in Woodville, Alabama
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which type of paint I use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sleek appearance. Common wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Which qualities do I expect in a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to the cost for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Woodville, Alabama, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Woodville, Alabama to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Woodville, Alabama varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Woodville, Alabama confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.