Find Deck Staining in Bee Branch, Arkansas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What prep is needed prior to staining a deck?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation will need to be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from transparent to solid, with solid usually providing the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the style of your house and yard.
What are some advantages of applying stain to my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's important to consider which option best meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also demands more upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly cured, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of defense against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Is staining my deck worth the price if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the look of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Bee Branch, Arkansas poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Bee Branch, Arkansas on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining a deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Bee Branch, Arkansas and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.