Find a Cabinet Painter in Crawfordsville, Arkansas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited by the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their modern aesthetic. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Is it easy to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the most suitable one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to the price for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Crawfordsville, AR, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Crawfordsville, AR
A smart way to enhance the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Crawfordsville, AR varies, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Crawfordsville, AR easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.