Find Deck Staining in Decatur, Arkansas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a particular time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What steps should be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Detailed prepping of the deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to ensure a good finish. Vegetation should be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically delivering the most protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and grounds.
Does deck staining give more benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's essential to consider which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better protection against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for your needs.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Decatur, Arkansas poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Decatur, Arkansas on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Decatur, Arkansas and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.