Find Deck Staining in Harrison, Arkansas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does the climate play a role in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Before deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that must be taken?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding environment must be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Picking the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid usually providing the most protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and grounds.
Will painting my deck be a smarter choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance due to flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of protection from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for your needs.
Is the price of professional deck staining offset by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you may think by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Harrison, AR poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Harrison, AR on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and providing unmatched protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a pro who can guarantee excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Harrison, AR and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.