Find a Cabinet Painter in Mountainburg, Arkansas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the style of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for home walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant look. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How can I pick the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the average cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are many factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Mountainburg, AR, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Update Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Mountainburg, AR
A quick way to enhance the value of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Mountainburg, AR varies, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Mountainburg, AR easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.