Find a Cabinet Painter in Traskwood, Arkansas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
Which qualities should I expect in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's always enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How can you estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Traskwood, AR, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Renew Your Home for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter in Traskwood, AR
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Traskwood, AR varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Traskwood, AR easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.