Find Deck Staining in Avondale, Arizona
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What prep is required before staining a deck?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from particular stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your house and grounds.
Is there a significant difference in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's essential to consider which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires more maintenance because of peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help protect it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to deliver excellent results. The climate in Avondale, Arizona is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Avondale, Arizona on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and providing unmatched durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under constant use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a pro who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Avondale, Arizona and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.