Find Deck Staining in Dragoon, Arizona
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Dragoon, Arizona is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long should I expect a contractor to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that needs careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, such as pathways and buildings, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you pick the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting throughout the curing process.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but attention to detail is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
Will the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Dragoon, Arizona on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides better versatility in colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Dragoon, Arizona and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.