Find Deck Staining in Mohave Valley, Arizona
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a specific season that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What prep is required prior to staining a deck?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding environment needs to be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Picking the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid typically delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your house and lawn.
Will deck staining provide more benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option most fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands more maintenance because of flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for your needs.
Will staining a deck offer any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck provides many advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Mohave Valley, AZ poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Mohave Valley, AZ on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and delivering unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the project. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring a pro who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Mohave Valley, AZ and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.