Find Deck Staining in Surprise, Arizona
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a better choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option most suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for you and your home.
Is staining my deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Surprise, AZ poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long should I expect a professional to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and execution to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a smooth application of the stain. Anything around the work area, such as pathways and structures, will have to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you understand the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's critical that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable for the curing step.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
What season of the year is recommended for performing a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Surprise, AZ on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and providing long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers more variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away under constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Surprise, AZ and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.