Find a Cabinet Painter in Atwater, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter what kind of paint I pick for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Typical wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Is it easy to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their prior work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's always enticing to quickly begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their components, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Atwater, CA, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Atwater, CA to Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Atwater, CA fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Atwater, CA confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.