Find a Cabinet Painter in Banning, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which type of paint I choose for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Typical wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Is it easy to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to start is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Check that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I just paint over my existing cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the usual cost of an experienced cabinet painter?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Banning, California, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Renew Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Banning, California
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Banning, California fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Banning, California easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.