Find a Cabinet Painter in Clovis, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction between cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
How can I determine if I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the challenging prep step necessary before painting all cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will it cost to paint my current cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Clovis, California, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Cabinets for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter Near Clovis, California
A smart way to boost the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Clovis, California varies, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Clovis, California confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.