Find a Cabinet Painter in Igo, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which kind of paint is used for cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for home walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek appearance. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
Is it easy to find a good cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by evaluating any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I have to pay to paint my used cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Igo, California, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Igo, California
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Igo, California fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Igo, California easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.