Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Irvine, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
How long will cabinets that have been refinished survive
One of the great advantages about wood is that it is able to be refinished many times to make furniture appear the way it did when new, which applies to wood cabinets, as well. How many times a professional can refinish cabinets depends on a few factors, including the durability of the wood, the materials used, and how well the cabinets have been cared for. How long your refinished cabinets will hold up before the service needs to be repeated depends on how often they are used and what kind of maintenance you perform. A well-done cabinet refinishing job will typically last anywhere from 5 to 10 years or more, depending on the factors mentioned above.
Is cabinet refinishing a smart investment in my kitchen?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always more affordable than purchasing new models and is a worthwhile investment in many scenarios, including when:
- Current Cabinets Are in Good Condition: When your cabinets are damaged or decayed, it may be more cost-effective to consider replacement.
- Environmental Sustainability Is a Value: If environmental sustainability is a priority, you may want to think about cabinet refinishing as an ideal way to reduce landfill trash by upcycling your existing cabinetry.
- You Want To Achieve a Unique Look: Refinishing can be done in a huge variety of colors and finishes to bring to life a vision that is totally unique and suits your tastes.
- Trying To Achieve a Better ROI: If you're planning to sell your residence, cabinet refinishing is a relatively inexpensive project to boost its appeal to try and maximize ROI.
- You Are Satisfied With the Existing Layout and Operability: You're existing cabinets may already fit in perfectly with your kitchen's design and give ideal functionality.
- Minimum Disruption is Preferred: Cabinet refinishing involves less disruption to your daily life compared to a complete cabinet replacement.
Property owners of Irvine, CA have reported paying as much as 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Prior to deciding on cabinet refinishing, assess your specific preferences, budget, and the condition of your cabinets to understand if this project is best for you.
Are there any particular licenses or qualifications I should look for from a cabinet refinishing contractor?
While there aren't industry-standard certifications specifically for cabinet refinishing professionals, there are important qualifications and indicators of expertise that you can look for when vetting someone to refinish your cabinets. Many of the best contractors will prominently display their background in carpentry, woodworking, or a relevant field on their Thumbtack profile.
You will want to ask the contractor you are considering hiring for photos of cabinets they have refinished for previous clients, especially for finished projects that are similar to the style you're trying to achieve. Along with a picture gallery, most professional contractors will showcase their experience and reliability with online client reviews.
A reputable professional will provide a clear written estimate of the job before it begins, listing the scope of services, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors should possess excellent communication skills and be able to answer all of your questions and concerns regarding budget, time, and craftsmanship during the refinishing project. You should also inquire for warranties or guarantees with the service, which is another factor that can demonstrate they have confidence in the quality of their workmanship.
What is the preferred way for refinishing cabinets?
An expert handling your cabinet refinishing task will adhere to an established process for efficiency and excellent results. There are usually numerous steps used to transform the look of existing cabinets, such as:
- Assessment and Prepping: Cabinets should be first assessed to make sure they are in proper condition for refinishing. If they are, any hardware will be disassembled, such as handles, knobs, and hinges, and all cabinet surfaces will be cleaned to remove any dirt, grease, or other residue.
- Repair and Fill: Some insignificant damage, such as cracks, dents, and other blemishes in the wood will be repaired or filled before being blended in with staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Your choice of paint, stain, or finishing technique will be applied in careful, even coats to accomplish the look you're looking for. The drying and curing phase is crucial to imparting a high-quality outcome, and may need several hours to complete.
- Reassembly: Once your paint or stain has dried, any hardware will be put back on and cabinets completely reassembled for use. A quality inspection will ensure the finished project meets your expectations, which includes a final cleanup of the entire work area.
It's useful to note that the specific refinishing process will vary depending on things like the type of cabinets and the desired finish. Also, professionals may employ specialized techniques, such as distressing or glazing, to achieve specific aesthetic effects, which will require a longer process with more steps. Make sure to communicate directly with anyone you hire to guarantee they have the skill to bring your vision to reality.
Employ The Right Professional for Cabinet Refinishing Near Irvine, CA
Cabinet refinishing is a great way to beautify the aesthetic of your kitchen by updating the appearance of existing cabinets without the need for a full replacement. Expert cabinet refinishers sand and apply your choice of finishes, such as paint, stain, or other techniques to your existing cabinets to deliver a new look that suits your sense of style and design preferences.
The cost-effectiveness of cabinet refinishing is one of its primary perks, and many people in Irvine, CA have reported paying as much as 70% less than they would on having new cabinets built and installed. Achieving a fresh and modern look for your kitchen cabinets for less money will maximize the return on your investment, increasing the value of your home simultaneously.
Sustainable solutions also play a part in why many people are choosing to refinish used cabinets instead of buy and install new models. Refinishing is a green option that celebrates eco-conscious values in home improvement by minimizing toxic waste and reducing demand for cutting more trees.
Another excellent benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the service will be much less chaotic to your lifestyle than the work it takes to install new ones. Regardless of buying stock or custom-built new cabinets, the kitchen where they're installed will likely face some level of demolition and reconstruction for them to fit properly. The consequence is much more dust and could take weeks or months to get your kitchen ready for use again, whereas an efficient refinishing job is less messy and the better solution for anyone on a tight schedule.
When considering an expert for your cabinet refinishing project, get a feel for their knowledge and expertise through pictures of their past work, if they offer any warranties on their workmanship, online client reviews, and how clearly they communicate with you about time and costs. All of this important information and more can be found on the powerful Thumbtack platform to help you hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Irvine, CA with confidence.