Find a Cabinet Painter in Lafayette, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // California // Lafayette
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint do you use with cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sleek appearance. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
What features should I look for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by knowing precisely what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Do I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Lafayette, California, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Beautify Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter in Lafayette, California
A smart way to enhance the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Lafayette, California varies, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Lafayette, California confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.