Find a Cabinet Painter in Lamont, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated appearance. Common wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
How can I choose the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to start is by understanding precisely what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the challenging prep phase necessary before painting all cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to the price of painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Lamont, California, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Lamont, California Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to boost the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Lamont, California varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Lamont, California easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.