Find a Cabinet Painter in Magalia, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter which kind of paint I pick for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to start is by understanding exactly what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the average price of a professional cabinet painter?
There are several things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Magalia, CA, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Renew Your Kitchen for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Magalia, CA
A smart way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Magalia, CA fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Find all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Magalia, CA easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.