Find a Cabinet Painter in Oakley, California
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what kind of paint I use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Is it easy to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing cost of painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Oakley, CA, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter in Oakley, CA
A quick way to enhance the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Oakley, CA varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Oakley, CA confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.