Find a Cabinet Refinisher in your area
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
How can cabinet refinishing be the ideal option for my house?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always cheaper than installing new models and is a wise investment in many scenarios, including when:
- Existing Cabinets Are in Decent Condition: If your cabinets are damaged or significantly warped, it may be more worthwhile to go with a replacement.
- Environmental Sustainability Is a Value: If reducing your carbon footprint is one of your biggest values, you may want to think about cabinet refinishing as an ideal way to reduce waste by upcycling your current cabinets.
- You Want To Achieve a Unique Look: Refinishing can be done in a large variety of colors and finishes to achieve a vision that is wholly unique and suits your sense of style.
- Trying To Achieve a Better Return on Investment: If you're preparing to sell your home, cabinet refinishing can be a cost-effective way to enhance your property's value and maximize ROI.
- You Are Pleased With the Existing Layout and Operability: You're current cabinets might already work well with your kitchen's layout and deliver ideal functionality.
- Avoiding Disruption is Necessary: Cabinet refinishing involves less chaos to your home in contrast to a full cabinet replacement.
Residents in your area have reported paying as much as 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Before choosing cabinet refinishing, weigh your specific preferences, budget, and the condition of your cabinets to discover if this project is right for you.
Are there any particular certifications or qualifications I should look for in a cabinet refinishing contractor?
While there aren't industry-mandated licenses specifically for cabinet refinishing professionals, there are important qualifications and indicators of expertise that you can refer to when hiring someone to refinish your cabinets. Most professional contractors will showcase their background in carpentry, woodworking, or a related skill on their Thumbtack page.
You should ask the contractor you are considering hiring for photos of cabinets they have refinished in the past, especially featuring results that are similar to the style you're trying to accomplish. Along with a portfolio, most professional contractors can demonstrate their experience and dependability through online customer feedback.
A reputable expert can supply a detailed written estimate of the job before it commences, listing the scope of work, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors should have excellent communication skills and be able to answer all of your questions and concerns regarding budget, schedule, and quality throughout the refinishing project. It would be wise to also inquire for warranties or guarantees with the service, which is another factor that can show they have faith in the quality of their workmanship.
How do professionals perform cabinet refinishing?
An expert working on your cabinet refinishing project will follow an established process for efficiency and proven results. There are generally several steps used to transform the aesthetic of existing cabinets, for example:
- Evaluation and Preparation: Cabinets are first assessed to ensure they are in proper condition to be refinished. If so, all hardware will be disassembled, such as handles, knobs, and hinges, and all cabinet surfaces need to be cleaned of dirt, grease, or other residue.
- Repair and Fill: Some small issues, such as cracks, dents, or other blemishes in the wood can be repaired or filled before being blended in with staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Whatever you choose for paint, stain, or finishing technique will be applied in thin, even coats to achieve the look you've envisioned. The drying and curing process is crucial to giving a professional outcome, and could need a few hours to complete.
- Reassembly: After your paint or stain completely cures, all hardware can be put back on and cabinets completely reassembled for use. Performing a quality inspection will ensure the finished project satisfies your standards, which includes a last cleanup of the complete work area.
It's useful to keep in mind that the specific refinishing project may vary depending on things like the kind of cabinets and the chosen finish. Furthermore, professionals may perform detailed techniques, such as distressing or glazing, to accomplish specific aesthetic results, which will require a longer amount of time. Be sure to communicate directly with any contractor you employ to ensure they can bring your vision to reality.
What are some perks of refinished cabinets?
Cabinet refinishing is an especially advantageous home improvement task that many homeowners discover to be worth the effort. Refinishing cabinets instead of buying new ones is a good way to reduce your impact on the environment by giving used furniture a longer purpose rather than contribute to landfills. The method of constructing new cabinets also depletes forests and releases chemicals into the atmosphere, both of which are significantly diminished when people choose to upcycle current furniture rather than replace it. Some other excellent perks of picking cabinet refinishing are:
- Cost-Efficient: Buying and hanging new kitchen cabinets can be very costly, but refinishing existing ones will allow you to refresh their look relatively affordably.
- Refresh the Look of Your Kitchen: Cabinet refinishing can drastically switch up the look of your kitchen through relatively little work and resources.
- Limit Disruption To Your Home: Cabinet refinishing is seen as a relatively fast and stress-free way to refresh their style versus installing new ones. Because you're repurposing current cabinets that have already been hung, you'll avoid the trouble of having new cabinets manufactured or the demolition and reconstruction of your kitchen walls and layout to make them fit.
- High-Quality Results: You'll get professional results when you hire a vetted contractor to carry out your cabinet refinishing project. The proper technique and experience is crucial to guarantee your cabinets look as you envisioned, including close attention to necessary steps of prepping the surfaces and allowing the paint or stain to cure before reassembly.
Hire The Right Professional for Cabinet Refinishing in Your Area
Cabinet refinishing is an effective way to beautify the look of your space by updating the appearance of current cabinets without the need for a total replacement. Professional cabinet refinishers sand and apply your choice of finishes, like paint, stain, or other techniques to your present cabinets to give a new look that aligns with your sense of style and design preferences.
The cost-effectiveness of cabinet refinishing is one of its primary advantages, and many homeowners in your area have reported paying up to 70% less than they would on having new cabinets built and hung. Achieving a fresh and updated look for your kitchen cabinets for less money will maximize the return on your investment, increasing the value of your home in the process.
Sustainable solutions also play a role in why more homeowners are choosing to refinish their cabinets rather than buy and install new models. Refinishing is a green option that aligns with eco-conscious values in home improvement by minimizing toxic waste and lessening demand for cutting more trees.
Another excellent benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the service is many times less chaotic to your household than the mess generated to install new ones. Regardless of purchasing stock or custom-made new cabinets, the kitchen where they're hung will likely need to undergo some level of demolition and reconstruction for them to fit adequately. The consequence is much more debris everywhere and could take weeks or months to get your kitchen ready for use again, whereas an efficient refinishing job is less messy and the better alternative for those working with a shorter timeframe.
When selecting an expert for your cabinet refinishing project, get a feel for their knowledge and expertise through galleries of past work, if they supply any guarantees on their workmanship, online customer reviews, and how clearly they communicate with you about time and budget. All of this valuable information and more can be found on the easy-to-use Thumbtack site so you can hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in your area confidently.