Find Deck Staining in Calhan, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which part of the year is recommended for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Before deck staining, what are the preparatory steps that should be taken?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding environment must be carried out to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be washed or sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your home and lawn.
What are some advantages of applying stain to my deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's important to assess which option best meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of protection from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for your needs.
Is staining my deck worth the cost if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Calhan, Colorado poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Calhan, Colorado on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring a pro who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Calhan, Colorado and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.