Find Deck Staining in Eagle, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What aspects should be considered when estimating the cost of deck staining by contractors?
Many factors will affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors should give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but that price may increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be completed before application.
The brand of stain you select for your deck will be reflected in the final cost, and high-end options with better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Also remember that how difficult your deck is to reach or maneuver around could lead to higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more coats of stain, could also raise the overall costs.
When considering professional deck staining services, it's important to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about scheduling. You will find all this information to make informed decisions and hire the best contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
How much time should I expect a professional to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to get the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a consistent application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, like pathways and structures, will also need to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you choose the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting during the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while delivering your desired look and durability.
Is there a specific time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically delivering superior defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and lawn.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Eagle, CO on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and delivering unmatched protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away under steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Eagle, CO and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.