Find Deck Staining in Estes Park, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a specific time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture will extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparations are required before staining a deck?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid generally delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and grounds.
What are the benefits of applying stain to my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be right for your needs.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Estes Park, CO is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Estes Park, CO on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and delivering unmatched protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath frequent use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Estes Park, CO and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.