Find a Cabinet Painter in Golden, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the appearance of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek appearance. Typical wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
How can I find the right painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by assessing their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's always enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing cost of painting cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Golden, CO, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Golden, CO Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to boost the value of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Golden, CO fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Golden, CO easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.