Find Deck Staining in Gunnison, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What factors most impact the price of professional deck staining services?
Several factors will affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current condition of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors will give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but the price may go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The brand of stain you pick for the deck will be reflected in the final cost, and high-end products with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to reach or work around might lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding multiple layers of stain, may also increase the overall costs.
When looking for professional deck staining services, it's a good idea to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about scheduling. You will find all this information to make informed decisions and hire the most suitable contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
How long should it take a contractor to stain my deck the way I wanted?
Staining a deck is a multiphase project that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything around the work area, like walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you pick the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the look you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the curing process.
All of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Which part of the year is suggested for carrying out my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What steps should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to guarantee a good result. Vegetation will need to be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Picking the best stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid typically delivering the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and yard.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Gunnison, Colorado on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away under steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a pro who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Gunnison, Colorado and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.