Find a Cabinet Painter in Jamestown, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Colorado // Jamestown
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction between cabinet paint and wall paint?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that modern look. Common wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How can I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what look you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's always tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What is the typical price for an experienced cabinet painter?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Jamestown, CO, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Renew Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Jamestown, CO
A smart way to enhance the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Jamestown, CO fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Jamestown, CO confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.