Find Deck Staining in Kiowa, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What part of the year is recommended for conducting my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What steps should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from transparent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and grounds.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to consider which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires more upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for you and your home.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck provides many advantages, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may suppose by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Kiowa, CO poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Kiowa, CO on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and delivering unmatched protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a pro who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Kiowa, CO and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.