Find a Cabinet Painter in Larkspur, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Colorado // Larkspur
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant look. Typical wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets or begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Is it hard to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Make sure that any contractor you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to the price for painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Larkspur, CO, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Larkspur, CO Who Will Bring Your Vision to Life
A smart way to boost the appeal of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Larkspur, CO fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Larkspur, CO easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.