Find a Cabinet Painter in Montrose, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction between cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the difficult prep stage necessary when painting all cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How do you estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are several factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Montrose, CO, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Montrose, CO
A quick way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Montrose, CO varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Montrose, CO confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.