Find a Cabinet Painter in Nunn, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Typical wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
Is it simple to find a good cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost of painting cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Nunn, CO, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Nunn, CO
A quick way to enhance the value of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Nunn, CO varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Nunn, CO confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.