Find a Cabinet Painter in Bozrah, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint do you use with cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for interior walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sleek look. Typical wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How can I find the right painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their prior work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any professional you hire provides documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my used cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Bozrah, CT, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Bozrah, CT to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Bozrah, CT varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Bozrah, CT easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.