Find a Cabinet Painter in Glastonbury, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for interior walls will face many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their modern appearance. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Which features do I look for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep stage a necessity before painting all cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Glastonbury, CT, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Glastonbury, CT Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Glastonbury, CT varies, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Find all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Glastonbury, CT easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.