Find a Cabinet Painter in Ledyard, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited to the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Typical wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
Is it hard to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Do I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than expected.
How can I estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are several things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Ledyard, CT, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Ledyard, CT
A quick way to enhance the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Ledyard, CT fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Ledyard, CT easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.