Find a Cabinet Painter in Northfield, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited by the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will face many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sleek appearance. Typical wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by knowing precisely what look you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you hire provides written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What is the typical cost for an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Northfield, Connecticut, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painter Near Northfield, Connecticut to Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Northfield, Connecticut fluctuates, but many customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets may be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Northfield, Connecticut confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.