Find a Cabinet Painter in Quaker Hill, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that modern look. Typical wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How do I find a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How do I estimate the cost for cabinet painting?
There are many factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Quaker Hill, Connecticut, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Beautify Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Quaker Hill, Connecticut
A smart way to enhance the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Quaker Hill, Connecticut fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Quaker Hill, Connecticut confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.