Find Deck Staining in Sterling, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep should be done before staining a deck?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid usually providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your house and yard.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of defense from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for you and your home.
Does staining my deck deliver any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck brings several benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Sterling, CT is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Sterling, CT on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and providing unmatched durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a pro who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Sterling, CT and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.