Find a Cabinet Painter in Yantic, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How do I determine if I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is the challenging prep phase a necessity before painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing price of painting cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Yantic, CT, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Update Your Home for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Yantic, CT
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Yantic, CT varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Yantic, CT confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.